Auditions for VTC's “Eclectic Essential Relationships” — an evening of one acts
When: November 8th, 7:00pm – 9:30pm; November 9th, 7:15pm – 9:30pm
Where: Vienna Community Center
120 Cherry St SE, Vienna, VA 22180
No appointment necessary.
Auditions will consist of cold readings from the scripts.
Audition form available here and at auditions.
Directors may double cast roles among the plays – repertory style.
Performance Dates – January 19-20, 26-28, February 2-4
"For Whom the Southern Belle Tolls" by Christopher Durang
Directed by Haley Murphy
In this parody of "The Glass Menagerie" the fading southern belle, Amanda, tries to prepare her hyper-sensitive, hypochondrical son Lawrence for the feminine caller.
Looking to cast:
- GINNY – the feminine caller, a vivacious warehouse worker who is hard of hearing and overbearingly friendly.
- TOM – the brother, who keeps meeting sailors at the movies who need to be put up in his room.
"Death Be Not Loud" by Thierry Sagnier
Directed by Stuart Fischer
A husband reads in the obituary section of the newspaper that his wife is dead. He and others refuse to believe otherwise even though the wife is still very much present and alive.
The roles can be played by adults of any age, although the four main characters will likely all be cast within the same age range (whatever the director decides that to be after seeing the auditions).
- Husband: Good natured, but gullible. Tries to rationally solve problems, but with absurd solutions. Believes his wife is dead from reading her obituary in the paper.
- Wife – Type A personality, businesslike, no-nonsense. Takes VERY BADLY that her husband thinks that she is dead.
- Woman – Acquaintance of husband. Ditzy, nosy, opinionated. Visits husband to find out what happened.
- Man – Good friend of husband. Earnest, thoughtful but very spacy.
- Emergency Medical Technicians (2) – Come in late in the play to take the wife's body (but she's gone to work). Not happy about coming for nothing.
"Capsmittment" by Jean Koppen
Directed by Juli Blacker
An issue comes up between two devoted ice hockey fans. Will this development destroy their bromance – or enhance it?
- Andy – 20's-30's
- Steve – 20's-30's
"One Click Away" by Dean Fiala
Directed by Sue Bevins
Fed up with the dating process, Jenna seeks a more permanent solution with the help of the Internet.
- Jenna (f) – 30's – A woman tired of the dating scene
- Veronica (f) – 30's – Jenna's best friend and roommate
- Nick (m) – 30's – Delivery man
- Husband #2 – (m) – 25-50 – Erstwhile husband
- Husband #3 – (m) – 25-40 – Erstwhile husband